High Expectations

" High Expectations " 





This is the story (as a poem) of those who, in the search for excellence, set unrealistically high expectations for themselves and then feel crushed under their pressure, often forgetting their previous achievements and failing to appreciate themselves for those instead of looking down upon themselves. I know there is a section of people out there who will resonate with this....


It is never enough,
Will it ever be?
Is it the same with all of you,
Or is it just me?

'Wonderful manners,
Good at studies,
The best of marks,
The best of buddies'

Were the things expected,
Were the things I did,
Right from the start
As a school going kid.

Too many things
To tackle as a teen.
Expectations being
Very clearly seen.

'Wonderful manners,
Good at studies,
The best of marks,
And no-distraction-buddies'

Having followed this
At school throughout,
Career plan was something
Quite new to think about.

Expectations from toppers
Are always sky high.
'A career to be proud of
When someone asks why'

'Work hard for your goal,
Out-study everyone.
How can you ever be placed
Second to someone !?'

'Entrance exams tell you
Where you actually stand;
Which a little school exam
Can't make you understand'

For the first time, the results
Were far from expectation.
I wondered if, after tenth,
My brain went on a vacation.

Where's your intelligence?
Where's your brilliance?
Where is your motivation
To earn in billions?

My experiences at practice
Were rarely any good.
I felt nothing like
A topper ideally should.

I was collapsing under pressure
Of always doing better,
Of not meeting expectations
Of being a go-getter.

Turns out I did well
With stress at the door.
I met the expectations
With a decent score.

After all that I did,
I thought this was it.
Expectations will start
Slowing down a bit.

But getting the best college
Is where it hit the limit.
Next level peer pressure
Made me feel like I don't fit.

Here is what I learnt
From the expectation game.
You fulfill them, they go
Much faster than they came.

But you can't relax in peace
When you see them go,
'Cause their fulfillment is just what
They require to grow.

These aren't put forth
By parents or society.
Instead they are set
By me, for me.

Society and parents
Also expect sometimes,
But much less than what I do
From myself full time.

And now that I've got
My college life going;
And now that (although it's a joke)
I might get placed at Boeing*๐Ÿ˜

I've decided not to be
So hard on myself,
Before expectations come
Appreciation for oneself.

Calm down, heal.
Slow down, breathe.
The life in you
Awaits to be freed.

                                                                             
                                                                                  ✎Shravani Kelapure
                                     *a company that recruits Aerospace Engineers๐Ÿš€ 

Today's Talk: I think I have written something after almost an year, my first year at college was quite a lot. I did not get to pause, reflect and write about something. Feeling lighter and better. At Nagpur currently for the semester break. Weather is fine here, I know it is worse at Chennai but that is what life is all about. Going to rejoin on 10th July...All good, see you readers later!


Comments

  1. What an expressions my dear... Always something new and well constructed๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป... Love to see more poems from you, as you are the born poet♥️... write more to relive your stress, write even when you are happy and keep writing.. I only *EXPECT* ๐Ÿ˜‚more happiness for you my dearest๐Ÿ˜˜

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Take a look at the "MOST VIEWED"

เคตीเคฐ เคœเคŸाเคฏु ....

Joy in Small Things

Silent Teachers

LOL Verses

She is...

เคคाเคฐा เคฐाเคจी เค•ी เค•เคนाเคจी

Sphygmomanometer

What Does Your Heart Tell You?

The Diamond Necklace